Borough of Tamaqua
Quality of Life Ordinance
Tamaqua property owners are expected to maintain their properties in good condition for the health, safety and appearance of the community. Properties must be kept clear of trash, high grass and weeds, animal waste, junk vehicles and other nuisances that effect “quality of life” in the community. Blighted properties reduce property values, limit economic development and lower community pride.
The Borough of Tamaqua strives to improve the “quality of life” for all residents by vigorously enforcing 7 basic property maintenance laws. Borough code officers and police can issue tickets to property owners for these common violations:
• Accumulation of waste, trash, rubbish or garbage inside and outside the property.
• Failing to cleanup animal waste/feces on the property on a daily basis.
• High weeds, grass or plant growth over 10 inches high.
• Unregistered, uninspected, inoperative or dismantled motor vehicles.
• Outside placement of indoor appliances or furniture such as ovens, refrigerators, washers, dryers, mattresses, recliners, sofas and interior chairs or tables.
• Failing to clear snow and ice from sidewalks within 24 hours after a snow storm. A 3-foot path must be cleared in front of homes and the entire sidewalk must be cleared in front of businesses.
• Improper storage of waste or trash. Garbage must be stored in a metal or plastic container. Garbage may not be put out more than 24 hours before collection and containers must be put away within 24 hours after collection.
Property owners may receive a Quality of Life ticket for any of the above violations. Tickets may be issued in the amount of $25 for a first offense, $50 for a second offense, and $100 for a third and subsequent offenses. If property owners fail to correct violations in a timely manner the borough may correct the violation and bill the property owner for the cleanup cost or place a lien on the property.
The complete Quality of Life ordinance can be viewed online at: https://www.ecode360.com/30168183
To report a violation in your neighborhood, contact the Borough of Tamaqua at 570-668-3444 or 570-668-0300 during normal business hours, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., and a complaint form will be sent to you by email or regular mail.